1. How did you get started into running ?
I used play a bit of tennis, and my brother hammered me in a match and I decided I needed to get fit so I started running, and I was hooked!! .
2. What was your first race?
It was a 4mile race in Ennis. I saw it in the paper and thought “why not”. It was on in September and started at 7.30, and I was lapped by EVERYONE in the race and it was dark when I finished, but I was delighted!!!
3. Can you remember your first medal?
I ran a “Munster B” cross country race in Kilmallock and I was 2nd last, one of my favourite medals actually.
4. Where’s you favourite place to train?
I have a 10mile loop around Clarecastle/Ballea which I really like. Coole park is also a fantastic place to run as well.
5. Current Personal Best Times?
1mile: 4.42 3k: 9.11 5k: 15.46 8k: 26.17 10k: 32.29
6. Typical Training Week ?
I train twice a day, 6 days a week. So morning sets are either easy recovery runs, gym or pool sets. My runs in the evening are longer. I would do 2-3 speed sets a week, 3 by 3k or a pyramid set like 400/600/800/ 1k by 3 which is really nice And a long run of 15miles or so on a sunday.
7. Favourite Training Session?
It’s a tie between ANY “easy run” I have to do or the 3 by 3k set. I’ll go for the 3 by 3k set. Its not easy but as Mairtin Grealish said “ do you want to be the best or do you kinda wanna be the best”
8. What was your best-ever running performance?
I can’nt decide between three. Either my run in the Clare Senior in 06, when I went from 12th to 9th on the last lap, and we won “THE SENIOR” (the team ) by a point! The 5k in Santry where I ran my current 5k P.B. and when I won the Calcutta Cup for the first time in 2012. All good days.
9. What was your worst-ever running performance?
Oh God!! There has been so many it’s hard to pinpoint one. The thing about running is there tend to be more bad than good, but when you have a good day you forget about the rest!!
10. What’s the strangest thing that you’ve ever seen on a training run?
11. Favourite piece of running gear?
12. Who would you most enjoy beating in a sprint for the line?
Anybody!!! I have “no fast twitch muscle fibres”
13. What was the best bit of training advice you were ever given?
Seamus Power told me you won’t start running well until everything else in life falls into place, i.e. exams and work! I have all that behind me so I should start running well soon☺
14. In ten years time will you still be running?
I have no idea!! .
15. If for some reason you were told you could never run again, how do you think you’d react?
I think I’d be fine as long as I could do something else like swimming or cycling. It’s the buzz of having done something that I’d miss I would say!! .
16. Greatest Irish Athlete!?
I am slightly biased here but Seamus Power in my opinion. For what he achieved is incredible and is a gentlemen also. Always has time to help other athletes as well.
17. Favourite Quote!?
The Ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of triumph, but where he stands in moments of adversity – Martin Luther King
18. Favourite post-race food?
Anything I am usually starving after!!!
19. Goals for this year?
Get myself back into good shape and have a cut at that 10k time later in the year. Win back the Clare Senior for the Track
20. Career Goals!?
In no order, break 15mins for 5k, run 30’s for 10k, wear the green singlet one day and win THE Senior!! They might never happen but if you don’nt aim high you’ll never get there! ☺